Sunday, November 13, 2005

Spending Cuts = Anti-American?

Every so often, I add up the year-to-date amount on the 'taxes' section of my paystub. It's no small percentage of my salary.

The politicians in Washington, D.C. are talking about cutting spending in the tune of $50 billion. (This will have little effect on my paycheck, but it's a start.) However, there are some elected officials who strongly oppose spending cuts.

Nancy Pelosi (D-California) was quoted saying that the spending cuts are, "anti-family, anti-taxpayer and anti-American."

Quite the opposite. As an American taxpayer myself, although I cannot claim to speak for all American taxpayers, I am quite certain that spending cuts are pro-American and pro-taxpayer. The only ones who might disagree are those whom my tax dollars are subsidizing. However, the recipients of beneficial legislation and subsidies are not the American taxpaying families. They are the big businesses that those on the left publicly criticize, yet surreptitiously hand over large sums of money.

There is no question that money is best spent by those whom it is intended to benefit. Just as I would not ask politicians to go to the grocery store and buy whatever they thought I might want, I would not ask politicians to decide what kind or how much education I should pay for, what projects I would like to support, which people I would like to offer assistance, or which industries I would like to shield from competition.

$50 billion dollars, 295,734,134 people in the United States = $169 per person. For the average taxpayer, $169 amounts to less than the federal income tax amount for two weeks' pay. Unlike some politicians who would rather see your money in someone else's pockets, I think we can trust the American taxpayers with a little more of their own money.

No comments: