Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Look No Further

Everyone knows that politicians cave in to special interests. What everyone might not know is that politicians make little attempt to hide this fact. Instead, sometimes they even tell us that they are spending our money to help special interests!

In another taxpayer funded shopping spree, President George W. Bush signed the $286.4 billion highway bill today. I won't speculate too much as to whether he actually read the more than 1,000 page document he just signed -- I suppose it is easier to spend $286.4 billion of someone else's money without reading the fine print. I found a few passages from this story more interesting.
The setting for Bush's bill-signing ceremony and speech was a plant operated by Caterpillar Inc. ... which makes road-building equipment ...

President Bush's own words are even more telling,

"I'm here to sign the highway bill because I believe by signing this bill, when it's fully implemented, there's going to be more demand for the machines you [Caterpillar, Inc.] make here."

Interesting -- Caterpillar, Inc. never asked me for donations.

No comments: