Sunday, July 31, 2005

Remembering the Founder of Pediatric Ophthalmology

I was born with a fairly rare genetic condition affecting my eyes, requiring corrective surgery to prevent irreversible vision loss. Fortunately for me, Dr. Marshall M. Parks had found an unfilled niche in the field of pediatric ophthalmology and specialized in the surgical procedure I needed. Dr. Parks performed my surgery when I was six months old, allowing me to have 20/20 vision with a minimal loss of depth perception. I was his most successful case.

Sadly, Dr. Parks passed away a few days ago, on July 27, 2005. His contributions to pediatric ophthalmology were phenomenal, through research, managing his own practice and training many other ophthalmologists. His work made many lives better, including mine, and his contribution to pediatric ophthalmology as a teacher and writer will continue to help many born with various eye conditions. For this I am ever grateful.

No comments: